Jump to a certain day:
A general note to our readers:
We had hoped to be able to bring back dogs but at this time we can not do so. Rescue groups are still prohibited from bringing Katrina dogs to Massachusetts because of the Department of Agriculture's fear of spreading disease. They want to handle the intake of dogs and send them to the big shelters.

Back to top ^
Lina and Denise worked in the barn/kennel all day today. They were impressed by the conditions and the teamwork. They work in teams and about 35 volunteers care for over 300 dogs in the barn that they worked in.

The dogs had fans, two walks per day (at least), are fed twice a day and get vet attention, if necessary, instantaneously.

At this point in time, many dogs have been shipped out or claimed. The majority of the dogs left are pit bulls or chow chows. There are two shifts per day. Lina and Denise worked both today.

People are allowed to go through the barn to look for their animals. Many have been reunited right in front of the volunteers' eyes, which has been very rewarding.

Tomorrow will be the flight home. We will continue to post picture as we develop them. Thank you all very much for your generous support, and as always, if you have any specific questions or concerns, please email us at info@underdogresq.org.

One of many pit bulls still at Lamar Dixon.

A sign posted near some pit bulls in the barn. Hopefully they can be reunited with their owner soon.

Back to top ^
Today, Lina and Denise returned to the neighborhood that they finished up at the previous evening. There were many residents moving back in. Most of them were very helpful and thankful for the work that our volunteers had been doing.

There were less animals out during the day. They seem to come out during the evenings and nights when it is cooler.

Their search for animals brought them close to the downtown area. In their search, the two saw a dog laying quietly on a corner. It looked like some sort of basset hound/lab mix. They approached him with a friendly greeting and food. Without warning, he got up and went after them, snarling and barking, and within a split second, there were several other dogs going after them as well. Lina and Denise were forced to run. They ran for more than a block from the pack of dogs until they finally stopped chasing them. The dogs came within a few feet of catching our volunteers, reminding them of the potential for danger, not only in each rescue, but even in trying to feed the dogs. Local residents informed our volunteers that a woman living in the building owned 13 dogs and was present at the time of attack and didnít even call the dogs back.

They went back to the barn and had the chance to check out all of the animals that had been rescued. They will work in the barn (feeding/watering/walking) tomorrow that is currently holding over 250 animals. There are dogs, cats, reptiles, farm animals and many other types of animals.

They were surprised to see how nice the setups are for the animals.....big cages, food, water and toys. They are excited to help with the care of these animals tomorrow.

This is a spray-painted message about a lost and found pet.

As seen in this picture, the French Quarter is beginning to come alive again. Businesses are opening, although nearby, many businesses have been destroyed.

Denise visits one of many horses in the barns. There are also pigs, goats, ponies, reptiles, fish, birds, small animals and more.

Back to top ^
Today, Lina and Denise put in a full day of search and rescue. They encountered a variety of houses and neighborhoods. Some houses had minimal damage, while most were in bad shape. Many houses had items tossed throughout the rooms from the storms. They even found refrigerators in living rooms! Some houses even collapsed. Many places were deemed not safe for living beings due to the mold.

Today, a lot of animals were found living under porches. Our volunteers did a lot of feeding and watering of animals left in or around their homes.

There is quite obviously a major problem with animals on the loose throughout the city. This, in turn, is going to create a huge balloon of stray animal populations over the next several years in New Orleans and other affected areas of the Gulf Coast.

Today, they ended up spending a lot of time in what was a tough neighborhood in the city. There was a strong police presence. The police had found a young male German shepherd that they called our volunteers to take. Upon arriving, the dog was already receiving lots of belly rubs and attention. He was very excited to see everyone and was extremely hungry and thirsty. This was one of the volunteersí favorites. He was quite the ham!

Upon leaving, some of the police officers gave our volunteers their direct phone numbers in case they need the help. They gave them food to give to animals if they were in tough situations.

Lina and Denise hope to return to this neighborhood tomorrow, as there are still many animals roaming.

Lina with the German shephard found by police.

A collapsed home.

Here is a home our volunteers entered with hazmat suit & masks, everything was destroyed.

Our volunteers can't imagine what people went through here.

Back to top ^
Today was yet another busy day. Lina and Denise were on the move doing rescue and relief work all day. They were essentially going to houses that were marked to feed and check on animals that had been left behind.

Many people are moving back into the city. Some are taking their belongings and leaving New Orleans for good. When going to the different houses today, our volunteers found many living animals that they were able to feed and rescue and, unfortunately, many that did not make it.

A lot of owners are coming back to their houses to deceased pets. However, they are doing their best to keep the animals that are living healthy so that they will be ready for when their families come home.

The water lines are well above the car tops in many cases and the mold is such a hazard in some houses that they can't enter. It was another long day, and after a good night sleep, our volunteers will do it all again tomorrow!

Pictured here is one of the barns that is being used to house the animals.

One of the many homes to be searched for rescue.

You can see the water lines from the flood on this car.

At this house, our volunteers were attempting a search and rescue of a dog, but they could not find it. They left enough food and water for a month.

Back to top ^
Today, Lina and Denise started at the Triage Center again. They began the day doing similar Vet Tech and check-in work to what they did yesterday. There were more scared, skittish and aggressive dogs today, so everything was a little bit harder..... coupled with the fact that they were awake well before 5AM to get to the site.

With all of the skittish dogs, it is only a matter of time until some escape. Sure enough, there were a couple of escapes when volunteers were moving dogs around in crates and to different areas. In pursuit of one dog (that eventually got away), Lina and Denise heard a cat in a house that was marked (had animals inside). When looking in, they saw a crying cat with empty food and water bowls. It was probably fed the first week of the month and had been trapped since. They broke into the house, which is what all of the rescuers have been instructed to do, and promptly fed and watered the cat. Upon bringing it back to the Triage Center, it was found to have a high temperature and to be dehydrated. These are two of the most common conditions of the animals that were lucky enough to make it this far.

Later in the day, a skittish lab mix that had tags and was quite obviously owned, escaped the facility. Our volunteers were determined to get this one back. They chased, followed and corralled her throughout the streets. Finally, 45 minutes later, they were able to get her into a car.

Come tomorrow, the plan is to do all rescue work with limited Triage Center work. The majority of tomorrow will probably consist of house-to-house rescues and catching roaming animals on the streets. Please check out the website tomorrow to see how it goes!

At 5:30 am the volunteers gather for a meeting at the Triage Center

Denise, seen here in the red bandana, giving fluids to a cat found trapped in a house since Katrina. It was fed in the past, shortly after the hurricane, and was finally removed today.

A marked house in New Orleans, letting rescuers know about animals in the house.

Lina and Denise with a rescued puppy.

Fallen trees still litter the streets.

Desperate store owners make a statement to any potential looters.

5 puppies they were trying to save are under this house. They hope to return to try again.

This is the cat that Lina and Denise rescued from the house.

Back to top ^
Today, Denise and Lina were right in New Orleans doing front line work with Vets on animals that were just rescued from across the city. Their day began at 5:30 am and by 9 am they were at the Triage Center, which is an area in the city where animals are held and cared for each day until the volunteers leave in the evening around 6 or 7 pm. At this time, the animals are put in crates, loaded into a large tractor trailer truck with air conditioning, and go back to the main boarding facility. 165 animals were brought there yesterday alone.

Denise and Lina helped to check animals in and log their information. They then helped the Vets give the animals fluids and emergency care if necessary. Most dogs came from homes and were brought in by field rescue workers who responded to authority reports of animal sightings in houses or were reported abandoned by homeowners.

Each animal is photographed and when the rescue workers respond to reports, they take all information that they can find in the houses on the owners, so they can attempt to reunite these pets with their families. There were over 140 animals that passed through the Triage Center today. The animals that need emergency care are sent to locations where they can get more help and all other animals are sent back to the main boarding facility.

Tomorrow, our Underdog ResQ volunteers will be responding to calls and reports and will be doing the field rescue work. They will also be helping out at the Triage Center when they are overwhelmed with animals. We will let you know how it goes!

Volunteers working with an animal.

A tiger cat in the ICU at the Triage Center.

The tiger cat was dehydrated and couldn't move.

Back to top ^
Lina and Denise landed safely today and made their way to their destination at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center. They went from volunteer to volunteer and booth to booth trying to find out where their help is most needed. Finally, they ran into a few people who directed them to the right contacts. In the coming days they will be heading into the city of New Orleans, aiding veterinarians with emergency vet tech work and helping with actual animal rescue across the city.

Tomorrow will be a busy day...

Close Window